The sweetness of the crepes, the richness of the bechamel and all that chicken's flavour in just one bite. I know. I know that you want to have a chair on that table, a big plate and enjoy it.
Take a closer look... mouthwatering, right? Now, get fast to the supermarket, buy the ingredients and go straight to the kitchen. You have to try this.
About this recipe: Jose, my other half, is an essential part of this blog. He is not only an incredibly creative person and photographer, but an amazing cook and recipe developer. You will find a lot of his recipes here and I'm sure you are going to love them SO much as I do. Adapted from his mother's recipe, he has made it his own and. I have to say that all the flavours are so beautifully balanced, it's just the perfect comfort food you want to have a Friday night and it's one of the best Lasagnas I've ever had. I'd love you to try it too. =)
For the Chicken:
600 gr Chicken breast Handful fresh oregano
1 Tbsp Olive oil 1 Chicken stock cube
1/2 Onion, chopped 2 Cups of water
For the Tomatoes sauce:
1 Onion, chopped 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Garlic clove, minced 1 Tbsp Ketchup
1 Carrot, chopped 1/3 Cup Red wine
800 gr Peeled tomatoes 4 Tbsp Chicken Stock
Handful fresh oregano 1 Tbsp Olive oil
For the Sofrito:
2 Onion, julienned 1 Tbsp Mustard
2 Garlic cloves, minced 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 Red bell pepper, julienned 4 Tbsp Tomatoes sauce
1 Tbsp Ketchup Handful fresh parsley
For the Bechamel:
60 gr Butter 300 ml Milk
60 gr All purpose flour Nutmeg
For the Crepes:
1 1/2 Cups All purpose flour 2 Eggs
1/4 Cup Brown sugar 1 Tsp Salt
2 Cups Milk
Mozzarella & Parmesan Cheese Salt & Pepper
01. In a large stock pot heat olive oil over medium-high heat and add onion, salt and pepper, sauté until soft. Add water and bring to a boil.
02. After water begins to boil, add chicken stock, oregano and chicken breast. Let cook for 20 minutes or until chicken is white.
03. With a fork start racking across the breast. It will fall apart easily with the help of the fork and your hand. Pull the entire chicken and after finished, set apart. Keep about a half of a cup of the stock for later.
04. In the meantime, heat oil in a sauce pan and sauté onion, garlic until translucent. Add carrots, peeled tomatoes, oregano, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, wine, 4 tablespoon of chicken's stock, salt and pepper. Let simmer for about 15 minutes. Set aside.
05. Now it's time for the sofrito. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic until translucent. Add red bell pepper. Stir well for 5 minutes.
06. Add 4 tablespoon of tomatoes sauce, ketchup, garlic powder, mustard, parley, salt and pepper. Stir for 5-8 Minutes. Set apart.
07. For the crepes batter, pour flour, milk, egg, sugar and salt into a blender. Combine well until smooth.
08. Add butter on a small nonstick fry pan and place it over medium heat. Fill a 1/3 cup of batter and pour it into the center of the pan and swirl to spread evenly. Inclining it on all sides quickly enough to distribute it across the surface.
09. Cook until the edges start to lightly brown. Flip over and cook for a few more seconds until done. - Set apart.
10. For the bechamel, heat butter under low heat in a small sauce pan. When melted, add flour and without pausing, stir well and constantly with a wood spoon until forming a dough.
11. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until thickened. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper. Set aside.
12. To assemble: Add butter and 2 tablespoon of tomatoes sauce in the baking dish. In a plate, ddd chicken to fill the crepe, then roll up to enclose filling. Carefully transfer the filled crepe to pan and place seam side down. Continue stuffing and rolling remaining crepes.
13. Top crepes with tomatoes sauce, bechamel, peppe and mozzarella cheese. Make about 3-4 layers. In the last layer, drizzle the crepes with bechamel and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
14. Place in oven and bake until cheese is lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly before serving.
I hope you truly enjoy it, and please drop me a line if you have any feedback! ♡